Sunday, September 22, 2013

Asian Beauty: Double Eyelids

There has been a lot of commotion about the double eyelid surgery in the Asian community lately. It stemmed from the TV show "The Talk" where host Julie Chen revealed her secret about having plastic surgery. Julie's secret apparently offended people and it was the dramatic topic sweeping across the media. This topic really intrigued me because I can totally relate to Julie in many ways. Check out the video below:



The surgery called the "East Asian Blepharoplalstyhas actually become somewhat of the standard in the Asian culture. Many Asians are not born with the "double eyelid" therefore having a little more fat on their eye lids and sometimes makes them look heavy or tired. Some people criticized that Asians only got the procedure done to look more "westernized". 

The women in my family including my mother and aunts all had this type of surgery done sometime when they were young. It seemed to be the THING to do, once you turned 18. I remember asking my mom "What is the point of this surgery" and she replied "sometimes girls in Korea get the surgery done to make their eyes look bigger and prettier". She never encouraged me to have mine done and for some reason, she thought they looked fine being natural. I was happy my overly critical mother was not supportive of this surgery. However, I still struggled with the option of having it done myself. The culture gives you the perception of "Oh you will look much prettier with a double eye lid". It seems laughable how vain these women are at times. I never ended up getting the surgery done myself and ironically the creases have appeared a little as I got older.

 
I personally think that there is nothing wrong with having this procedure done and it depends on each individuals preference. However, I do not like that fact that the culture is putting so much emphasis on having plastic surgery done as the norm. It's disconcerting that people are putting so much emphasis on their looks in the effort to look like the celebrities.  I really think that it is damaging the the culture and really toxic to our self image and confidence issues. Apparently the natural look is now the trend and I hope that we are able to embrace our natural beauty. What do you think? I would love to hear your thoughts!


4 comments:

  1. Interestingly, my grandma and mom both had a similar surgery and neither are Asian. It was covered by insurance. I also will likely need to have it someday. Our upper high lids are heavier than norm so as we age, they can almost close our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very interesting that it was covered by insurance!

      Delete
  2. I chose this topic as one of my inquiry projects for my diversity class! This subject was also discussed on the Tyra Bank's show. Here's the link for that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOcSJSJWD60. Tyra seemed to think that a lot of girls get it done to meet Caucasian beauty standards.
    One of my best friends got it done, and when I asked her about it she made it seem like it was just something she did...as in she didn't really think too much about it or question it. Her mom had it done and scheduled an appointment for her and her siblings, so they just went ahead and got it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Lisa! I liked the fact that the doctor says that there is a european standard of beauty-which I think contributes to the popularity of this procedure.

      Delete