Friday, May 17, 2013

A Mother's Love

Happy Mother's Day! Although I couldn't spend the day with my "umma" I had a nice evening attending a baby shower for a new mommy.

Today, I wanted to share a story from when I was born. My mother was young, in here mid twenties when she came to the states from Korea. She was married for 6 months when she got pregnant with me when she moved here. My Dad just got laid off from the Ford factory so she was stressed being in a new country. Fast forward another 6 months and my mom's water broke and she had no idea what was going on. Living with her in laws, my grandma thought she is fine since there is no way the water would break so early. They didn't believe her when she felt like something was wrong. So she called her friend whose brother was a doctor, he advised her to go to the ER and see a doctor right away. Without having a drivers license or speaking English my mom drove herself to the doctor. I was born at 3 months premature and was helicoptered in to the nearest NICU. At this point my mother thought there is now way this baby could survive - so she went home. With a huge language barrier she went home grieving. Just a few weeks later, the hospital called with a translator who asked" Why aren't the parents coming to see their little girl? She is growing and it would be good for mom to come to visit". My mother thought I was dead and she was shocked. So she took my father and grandfather up to the hospital to see me. The doctors called me "a miracle baby" as I only had a 50/50 chance. That day forward, my mom drove to the hospital everyday to see my, hold me, and provide the love I needed to live. That is an example of a mother's love.

Vintage 1979ish





No comments:

Post a Comment